This week I worked on the finishing touches for the stand which is now glued up. Here are the details:
These are the side stretchers which are about 1" down from the bottom of the cabinet leaving the top surface visible. The thickness looked too heavy but needed to be there for structural integrity so I made an angled cut to reduce the visual weight.
These are the inner stretchers that the cabinet will be attached to. The cabinet will be "floating" 1/8" above the stand, the curves were cut in the inner stretchers so they wont be visible from the front or back. Even though they won't be seen I decided to surface the cuts with beaver marks as it was a faster and more enjoyable process than scraping or spokeshaving.
The edges were softened with the little tulipwood plane I made at the beginning of the year. Works great for one-handed operations.
Shop-made brass brackets to attach the cabinet to the stand. I know they are simple to make but I was super happy to able to make them in a couple hours the other morning, and get great results.
Glue-up #1 & 2, front and back assembled.
I wasn't able to get a really tight joint between the inner stretchers and the front and back aprons in glue-up #3, but went ahead anyway. Then during glue-up #4 a light bulb went off to switch the clamps to the underside where I wasn't getting the fit I wanted. Duh.
Next week I will be finishing up the pulls and doing some final clean-up on the doors. I'm not going to say that I will be done, don't want to jinx it.