Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Home Streach

This week I worked on the finishing touches for the stand which is now glued up. Here are the details:

 These are the side stretchers which are about 1" down from the bottom of the cabinet leaving the top surface visible. The thickness looked too heavy but needed to be there for structural integrity so I made an angled cut to reduce the visual weight.
 

These are the inner stretchers that the cabinet will be attached to. The cabinet will be "floating" 1/8" above the stand, the curves were cut in the inner stretchers so they wont be visible from the front or back. Even though they won't be seen I decided to surface the cuts with beaver marks as it was a faster and more enjoyable process than scraping or spokeshaving.

The edges were softened with the little tulipwood plane I made at the beginning of the year. Works great for one-handed operations.

Shop-made brass brackets to attach the cabinet to the stand. I know they are simple to make but I was super happy to able to make them in a couple hours the other morning, and get great results.


Glue-up #1 & 2, front and back assembled.

Glue-up #3.

Glue-up #4.

I wasn't able to get a really tight joint between the inner stretchers and the front and back aprons in glue-up #3, but went ahead anyway. Then during glue-up #4 a light bulb went off to switch the clamps to the underside where I wasn't getting the fit I wanted. Duh.

Next week I will be finishing up the pulls and doing some final clean-up on the doors. I'm not going to say that I will be done, don't want to jinx it.

5 comments:

  1. way to go! the last 10% always takes 90% of the time it seems.

    just asking, where did you get that kwila? i cant find anyone out east that carries it! grr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it seems like the closer I get the longer things take.

    I got the Kwila from the school. I don't know where they got it from but I have told it has been there form the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah the kwila has been there for the long haul. what are you going to do for the rest of the time barb?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I have time for much, I will probably just build another little box so I can feel like I can make something in a REASONABLE amount of time.

    Do you have your first project underway in the new shop yet? What are you planning on building?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep, making a little box. something basic to work the kinks out of the place.
    hopefully it can be at a reasonable point that i can finish out at IP.

    ReplyDelete