Sunday, September 25, 2011

Upholstery

I have been meaning to post something for a while just to save the blog from death but haven't been doing much in the way of woodworking. Thought this may be worthy of posting.

Earlier in the year we took an upholstery course from a local upholsterer who is in the very early stages of setting up a school. There is more to it than I would have thought. Like wood, you have to be aware of the grain direction of the fabric and the matching of color, patterns and types.

Some photos of the dining chairs I used as my project:


From our local Danish Modern dealer. Covered in black vinyl and a ton of staples.





Hours of staple-ripping to get down to this:



The finished product:



Oh, and just to prove that I do intend to get back to wood...


...my new bench freshly flattened and oiled this weekend.
I did intend to build a bench but this one came up on Used-Victoria for just about the same if not less than the cost of the wood, hardware and mostly the time it would have taken me. It is an Ulmia, made in Germany. Couldn't have asked for a better find. The surface was well used and had a pretty deep dish lengthwise down the middle, but a couple hours of planing and scraping took care of it. Now to get all the hand tools out of boxes!
Will have more photos of the shop to post next time. Want to get it all presentable first;)


4 comments:

  1. Barb,

    That bench is a great find. It's even nicer than the sheet of plywood that I call a workbench. Looks like you're ready to get back to some serious woodworking.

    Congratulations! And nice job with the upholstery.

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Barb! Is that chair rosewood? Looks like it on the front stretcher from the photo.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Craig

    Ian - The chair is mostly rosewood, the stretchers are rosewood laminated mahogany, which seems common for that era. We have another chair that has the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome good to see gears are still turning!
    I think I'll hired out my upholstery heh. I'm actually looking into it now... need some test samples for mock-up!

    ReplyDelete